Saturday, August 30, 2008

"It's time to pay the piper. He's gonna reap what he sowed, and it sure ain't corn. Or wheat."

Eagle vs Shark, 2007. Two Stars.

I was sooooooooooooo disappointed in this movie! Firstly, I am a HUGE fan of Flight of the Conchords, which I should probably do a review about some time soon. Secondly and consequently, I love everything about Jemaine Clements. He's hysterical on FotC, and he's also an amazing musician. And he's sexy. AND he was the balls in Tongan Ninja, which could very well be one of my favorite movies and I should also review it sometime soon as well. I also love the episodes of FotC that Taika Waititi directed and wrote, they're one of the funniest/most bizarre ones!

While looking up info on the internet about these two guys one night, I stumbled upon an incredible (and stuff-heavy) website about this movie they did called Eagle vs Shark (I don't think this is the same website I'd found, but it's pretty close!). It looked kooky and adorable and fun, which are all things I dig. I'd looked at an old newspaper and found out that I just missed it at one of the local indie cinemas. Blast it! And it looked like it wasn't playing anywhere else near where I lived, and the DVD release date was uncertain. Double Blast!!

But, it finally came out on DVD, and I rented it with my friend Captain. So, this movie was advertised as like a quirky comedy about a weird couple of social outcasts. My kind of flick, right? Turns out a lot of it is really sad. Jemaine's character is really mean to his love interest, and turns out he has a little girl who lives with his family and he's pretty apathetic toward her. WHAT?! The whole thing with his brother Gordon (played by Taika) was pretty rad, and the dad's kind of funny, and Jemaine and Loren's characters are so cute in their painfully awkward way (well, sometimes for Jemaine's character). And the relationship between Loren's character and her brother is interesting because it's very precious.

But, I still can't get over all the weird mean stuff in this movie. This definitely wasn't the light-hearted romp that I was expecting. It was pretty darn heavy, in fact! I appreciate the movie for what it is, but I would have liked it a whole lot better if I'd been expecting something so heavy. The light-hearted PR misled me, and it ruined it for me.

Unrelated: I must also mention that I'm also crazy about Bret McKenzie, the second part of the duo that makes up Flight of the Conchords. Mostly for some of the reasons I like Jemaine, but also more specifically because he was some killer dance moves!!

No comments: