Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"He must have had on some really nice pants."

The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006. Four Stars.

How can such an inspirational and uplifting movie NOT get Four Stars?? Well, I guess if the movie sucked, it wouldn't get Four Stars. But this movie didn't suck!

Before seeing it, I knew this was going to be a "trials & tribulations" story, but with an extremely happy ending. I looooooove happy endings (especially those inspired by true events), but I just wasn't sure how difficult it would be to get through the "trials & tribulations" part. I get pretty emotionally involved in movies. Consider yourself lucky if you've never had to experience watching a movie with me.

But the difficult parts of this movie weren't that difficult to watch. This is partially because it's so amazing to see all the crap that the main character goes through, and how his unflappable spirit, brilliant problem-solving skills, and awesome ability to think on his feet helps him beat it and get what he's worked hard for. My jaw dropped many times during this film. This dude rocks.

If you've avoided this movie because you think it'll be sappy-sweet and stupid to watch, drop that notion and go watch this sometime.

Fun fact about Will Smith that I picked up on imdb.com: Once stated that in his whole career, he most regrets turning down the part of "Neo" in The Matrix (1999) and the film that he most regrets making was Wild Wild West (1999). If I were him, I'd feel the same way!!

1 comment:

Ricki said...

Will Smith would have made an awesome Neo